Wednesday 15 July 2009

Discussion and Debating Meetings

Discussion and Debating, Introduction to Meetings
Elementary Level


In order to prepare for a group meeting, where each person takes on a role and debates a decision that a company must reach – it’s good to begin with some practice before speaking in a group. To be able to act out a scenario and use phrases for disagreeing or putting across an opinion it’s a good idea to practice a few phrases, and watch how someone else does it. This builds confidence.

There is a short video clip (‘What shall we do ?’) from the ‘English Today ‘ course that came with a guide ‘Télé Sept Jour’ (no copyright infringement intended)about four people coming to a decision about what to do that evening. It can also be used for learning about comparatives/superlatives, and auxiliaries Do and Shall; I did this before, and now I am using it for some useful phrases to adapt for meetings. For instance;
Why don’t we - to use for persuasion
What would you suggest ? or Can I suggest something ?
Why don’t we try to find a good compromise ?
And so on.


After going through the clip, I give out a sheet with some useful phrases some of which we discuss


LANGUAGE of DISCUSSION
CHAIRING THE MEETING
Keeping to the point Moving on Controlling the meeting
Please keep to the point Let’s move on One at a time please
That’s not the point Can/Shall we move on? Please listen to others
Please answer the question I think we’ve dealt with that Let Ria speak
You’re getting off the point That’s agreed then Do calm down !
ASKING FOR OPINIONS
What do you think/propose/suggest ?
How do you feel about that ?
What’s your opinion/feeling/reaction?
PROPOSING/GIVING OPINIONS
I think we should............. Why don’t we...................?
The best thing would be to............ It would be a good idea to..............
How about............? What about ...............?
I suggest we............. In my opinion
My feeling is................ What we ought to do is...............
AGREEING
I agree Hear ! Hear !
Right ! I couldn’t agree more
Exactly ! That’s how I feel
DISAGREEING
I don’t agree I disagree
Nonsense ! How can you say such a thing ?
How can you say that? That’s just not true !
What makes you say/think that ? That’s wrong
Your arguments just don’t stand up That’s illogical
ASKING FOR CLARIFICATION/TRYING TO UNDERSTAND
What do you mean ? I don’t understand
Sorry ? Please explain
Say that again That’s not clear
I don’t follow I’m not with you
INTERRUPTING AND PROTESTING
Hold on! Will you just listen?
Please let me speak/answer! Wait a minute
If you’ll just let me answer If you’d just let me get a word in
If you’ll just let me get a word in Let me explain
You misheard That’s not what I said
You’ve already said that


We than try out a few scenarios in pairs, trying to reach an agreement
For instance:
1 The Objective: To decide whether to support Arsenal or Barcelona in the Championship League next year.
One person argues for Arsenal and the other for Barcelona
2 Making a controversial statement: I like Sarkozy, he is doing a good job
3 The Objective: To reduce the amount of alcohol consumed by young people
A: Thinks that prices should be increase
B: Thinks that the age limit should be raised to 25.
I choose a scenario that I think fits with the student’s interests, or is of general interest. Being provocative is quite motivating in a lesson !There is some useful grammer in Murphys ‘English Grammer in Use’ Intermediate level, as usual.








No comments:

Post a Comment